Traditional Greek Coconut Bougatsa pie with Filosophy Filo pastry sheets
Bougatsa is the traditional pie of Thessaloniki with sweet cream, cheese, minced meat, spinach. Chef uses every other option, the Coconut Bougatsa that you can serve it like a dessert! Follow Chef’s instructions and enjoy a signature recipe.
- 1 liter of coconut milk
- 40gr. betel
- 130gr. fine semolina
- 20gr. brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 40gr. cow butter
- 8-10 pastry sheets Filosophy Filo
- cow butter (melted)
- powdered sugar
Why use frozen Filosophy?
You save time since you do not need to make the filo yourself. Filosophy has taken care of offering you traditionally kneaded filo, made from the best ingredients. Also, your kitchen doesn't need to get messy either. How convenient!
- You can easily find Filosophy in the supermarkets or order it online.
- On the package there is a detailed nutrition chart to inform you about the filo's calories and nutrients.
- It is economical!
- We prepare our cream first. Put the coconut milk, the semolina, the sugar and the salt in the pot. Let them heat over medium heat.
- Then mix the cream and let it simmer for 6-8 minutes, until it tightens. Remove from the heat, add the vanilla, butter and mix until smooth. Let the cream cool for about 10 minutes.
- Grease a rectangular or square pan with butter using a brush.
- Butter each sheet of Homemade Dough crust well and spread them lengthwise and widthwise in the pan. We will need 4-5 sheets of crust for the bottom layer or otherwise the base of our bougatsa.
- After we have finished with the spreading of the leaves, then we place the cream evenly and cover it from above with the remaining 4-5 leaves, the ones that we kept for the "lid" and which we had buttered in the same way that we did in the leaves of our base. If they protrude too far out of our pan, we cut them and then fold the edges. This way we will create nice crunchy corners.
- Bake the bougatsa in a well preheated oven at 180 ° C in the air, for about 55 minutes until the sheet swells and turns brown.
- Let it cool a bit, so it will be cut more easily and into nicer pieces. Cut it into pieces and serve it with icing and cinnamon, in the traditional way, or with icing and chocolate praline for bigger curls.